The event will be held on Sunday 17th September 2017 from 10.00 am to 4.00 pm.
Tickets can be purchased from St LukesHealth, 17 Quadrant Mall or go to our Facebook page to see our Pop-up Sales location. Tickets can also be purchased at venues on the day.
• Adults $15 All venues
• Adults $10 Two venues
• Children 14 years and under are FREE
1. The Town Hall – 18-28 St John Street, Launceston
Open 10:00am to 4:00pm
Launceston’s Town Hall is one of few mid-Victorian buildings still used for its original purpose. The Council commissioned prolific Launceston architect Mr Peter Mills to design the Victorian Italianate-styled Town Hall in 1864. The ground floor of the original building contained the Council Chamber and municipal offices, and it had a concert hall and meeting room on the upper floor. The building was first occupied in 1867. Throughout its history there have been several extensions; 1906, 1936, 1970 and the development of the Annexe in 1986 in what was formerly the Old Mail Exchange.
The Foyer, and Reception rooms will be open for inspection with escorted tours throughout the day. Accessible Entry is via the Aldermen’s Car Park.
2. Police Headquarters – 125 Cimitiere Street, Launceston.
11:30am and 1:00pm
A guided tour (maximum of 25 people per tour) of the premises will be conducted by police personnel at 11:30am and 1:00pm. Tours can be pre-booked and participants must arrive 10 minutes prior to tour.
Due to security protocols, participants must be able to climb stairs as the groups cannot be split to allow use of lifts. No photographs or audiovisual recordings are permitted.
3. Magistrates Court – 73 Charles Street, Launceston
Open 10:00 am to 1:00pm
10:00 am, 11:00 am and 12:00 pm – A guided tour (maximum of 20 people per tour) of the premises will be conducted by Court personnel at 10:00 am, 11:00 am and 12:00 pm. Tours can be pre-booked and participants must arrive 10 minutes prior to tour.
Come and learn about the Magistrates Court and the different divisions which exist within the Court system
- Administrative Appeals Court
- Children’s Court
- Civil Court
- Coroners Court
- Criminal and General
- Youth Justice Court
Tours will take approximately 45 min duration with a highlight being seeing the secure prisoner access tunnel from the Launceston Remand Centre and learning about the technology that the Court uses for video conferencing and protected witnesses.
4. Macquarie House – Civic Square, Launceston
Open 10:00am to 4:00pm
Standing four storeys high, this beautiful example of a Georgian brick and stone warehouse was built for Henry Reed, a prominent Launceston merchant in 1830.
The four-level sandstone brick building was constructed on a bluestone base and is one of Launceston’s oldest buildings.
The expeditions of Batman and Fawkner which established the settlement of Melbourne, was supplied with provisions from this warehouse. The building has been used for a variety of purposes since its construction as a warehouse, and its demolition was seriously considered in the 1970s.
The building underwent improvement works in the 1930s and again in 1982. In 2017 approval was given for the building to be transformed into a technology and innovation hub.
5. Glasgow Engineering – 60 William Street, Launceston
Open 10.00 am to 4.00 pm
Small Group Tours operating throughout the day. Glasgow Engineering Company was founded by James Scott & John Clark, and the firm has been operating from its William Street site since its inception in 1892. This is unique for Launceston’s industrial heritage and the company is now the oldest operating engineering firm in Australia that is still located on its original site. The building itself is somewhat unique for Launceston being listed under the National Estate as a good example of an Edwardian industrial building in the neo-classical style, featuring an arched facade of fine proportions with an interesting use of bricks. The front facade was constructed in 1905 being built in front of the existing galvanised iron building facing William Street by J. & T. Gunn and most possibly designed by A.H. Masters.
6. Holy Trinity Anglican Church – 34 Cameron Street, Launceston
Open 12.30 pm to 4.00 pm
The present building is the second one on the site, the major part of which was designed by Launceston Master-Architect, Alexander North and built in the Federation Gothic style by J & T Gunn and was completed and consecrated in 1902. Possibly unique in Australia – there is no nave between the transept and the narthex. While most of the furniture and fittings date from 1902, there are several fine pieces from the first church (which was originally situated where the rose garden is currently located). All the silver plate currently used in the church was used in the first church. Visitors will also be able to view the stained windows, stone and wood carvings and the pipe organ.
Church Service commencing at 10.30am. All welcome
7. City Park Radio – Tamar Street entrance off City Park
Open 10.00 am to 4.00 pm
City Park Radio is a non-profit Community Radio Station, owned and operated by the members of the Launceston Community FM Group Inc. Housed in historic City Park Cottage which was formerly the Park Caretakers Cottage, the cottage itself is over 100 years old.
The City Park Radio Museum consists of over 50 Radios, dating back from the early 30’s, including:- Astor’s – Mickey Astor’s – Strom Burg Carlson – Chrysler – Phillips – AWA – HMV – Hot Point … and many more. A visit to our cottage will also enable you to see the oldest wisteria tree in Australia (165 years old).
Listen to City Park Radio on 103.7FM and 96.5FM
8. Masonic Centre – 39 Brisbane Street, Launceston
Open 10.00 am to 1.00 pm
The Launceston Masonic Centre building was designed and built during the late 1880’s as a home for Freemasonry in Launceston. The building itself is in the Italian style of architecture with a Corinthian façade. It is one of the few secular buildings within Launceston still used for its original purpose.
Visitors will be able to tour the Lodge Room and view many of the original features and fittings; including the Secretary’s desk made by Charles Finney, the undertaker and carved chairs used by the officers of the Lodge.
It is interesting to note that the location of the Masonic Centre was not accidental – but chosen due to its east-west orientation as Masonic Lodges are generally built on an east west axis with the Master placed in the eastern end and the Senior Warden placed in the western end.
9. St John’s Church – 157 St John Street, Launceston
Open 12.00 noon to 4.00pm
The first foundation stone of the Georgian style church designed by Colonial Architect David Lambe, was laid on the 28 December, 1824 by Lt Governor Arthur. The first stage of the church was constructed by convict labour with bricks fashioned from clay taken from what is now Prince’s Square, opposite the church. The incomplete church opened for Divine Service on 16 December 1825 but continued to see building activity with the completion of the first stage in 1830. Further works continued through the years with the addition of the tower, the clock and the bell. Until 1835, convicts in chains were brought from the convict barracks in George Street to stand in the gallery – while the regular attendees from the free congregation paid a pew rent of between 5-15 schillings, depending upon the location of the pew.
Towards the end of the nineteenth century, Alexander North was commissioned to design a new much grander church although several of the features were never constructed.
10.00 am Family Service – all welcome.
10. Launceston Fire Station – 85-89 Paterson Street, Launceston
0.00 am to 4.00 pm
11:00 am, 1:00 pm and 3: 00 pm
A guided tour (maximum of 20 people per tour) of the premises will be conducted by Tas Fire Service personnel at 11:00 am, 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm. Tours can be pre-booked and participants must arrive 10 minutes prior to tour.
Come behind the art deco façade to see the state of the art equipment used by the modern fire fighter and learn about how we can stay fire-safe.
11. Launceston City Band Rooms – 33 Bathurst Street, Launceston
Open 10.00 am to 4.00 pm
The Band itself was formed in 1876 and is still going strong. The Band Rooms would be best described as a music museum. There is a lot of music history on display such as photos, plaques and musical instruments of many descriptions.
12. Basin Cottage – Gorge Road entrance to the Cataract Gorge
Open 10.00 am to 4.00 pm
The cottage was built in 1925 and was refurbished by Council and Conservation Australia volunteers in 2007. The Cataract Gorge Reserve Volunteers run monthly events and the cottage contains visitor information and lots of interesting historical articles and photographs.
13. North Esk Rowing Club – 57 Lindsay Street
Open 10.00 am to 4.00 pm
Established in 1899, the North Esk Rowing Club is one of Tasmania’s oldest Rowing Clubs. View the memorabilia of the club as well as the state of the art racing craft. The Club is home to the North Esk Dragon Boat Club as well as having a membership that includes juniors, seniors, masters and para-rowers.
The Clubs function centre will be open allowing participants to purchase a drink in honour of the Clubs first President – James Boag.
14. Tibetan Buddhist Institute – 13-15 Bryan Street, Invermay
Open 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm
The Palpung Kagyu Thigsum Chokyi Ghatsal Tibetan Buddhist Institute is an official independent branch of Palpung Sherabling under the spiritual direction of the 12th Kenting Tai Situpa, a Golden Rosary linage holder of the Kagyu school of Tibeatan Buddhism. The building itself is a former Wesleyan Church that was first opened in 1892 and later became a Uniting Church. In 2002 the building was transformed to become the Tibetan Buddhist Institute.
15. Carr Villa Crematorium – Quarantine Road, Kings Meadows
Open 10:00am – 4:00pm
Tour times: 10:00 am, 10:45, 11:30, 12:30 pm, 1:15, 2:00, 2:45 & 3:30 (Maximum 12 people per tour)
Council staff will be conducting tours of the crematorium and dispelling the myths and misconceptions that many people have around cremation and burial. Information will be available throughout the day about the services Carr Villa provides. Tours can be pre-booked and participants must arrive 10 minutes prior to tour.
16. Island Fresh Produce Distribution Centre – 15 Connector Park Drive
12:00 pm – One tour 25 min tour (maximum 20 people)
Island Fresh Produce is one of the state’s leading fruit and vegetable distribution outlets and other food service customers across Tasmania. The tour will view warehousing operations and participants will be required to wear closed in shoes and warm clothes. Tours can be pre-booked and participants must arrive 10 minutes prior to tour to allow time to sign in.
17. Associate Professor Don McTaggart (Cardiologist) – 18 Clarence Street
Tours conducted at 10:00 am, 12:00 pm and 2:00 pm
(maximum 10 people per tour – approx duration 1 hour)
Assoc. Prof. Don McTaggart, one of Launceston’s most eminent cardiologists and Chairman of the Clifford Craig Medical Research Trust, will be demonstrating the use of cardiac ultrasound and other specialist equipment as well as discussing cardiac health and techniques such as stress testing to evaluate heart heath. Tours can be pre-booked and participants must arrive 10 minutes prior to tour.
18. Margaret Street Detention Basin – 93 Frankland Street
10:00 am to 4:00 pm
The Margaret Street Detention Basin located at the southern end of Margaret Street is designed to capture and hold the ‘first flush’ of combined sewer flows during a rainfall event. Comprised of covered and uncovered storage it is capable of holding 30 ML of polluted stormwater until the system can deliver it to Ti Tree Bend to be treated. TasWater staff will be present to answer questions on the basins operation throughout the day.